Support of the Society
Fifty years from now, today will be history. Act now to help the St. John Historical Society (SJHS) preserve, document, and share the unique historical and cultural history of our island.
“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.” – George Orwell
Since 1974, the St. John Historical Society, a 501(c)(3) entity, has been dedicated to the study and appreciation of all aspects of the history of St. John through educational programs, research, archeological projects, preservation advocacy, the collection and preservation of fine arts and archeological objects, printed and manuscript materials and maps, and other historical artifacts. All of this is supported exclusively through membership fees and donations, the generosity of the community, and the work of a volunteer board and dedicated group of advisors.
There are many ways in which you can show your support for the SJHS.
Become part of a unique group of people with a deep respect for the island’s past and its traditional values and culture. Your support will help us continue an innovative series of programs that bring St. John’s history to life. There are several membership levels.
Student Membership: Free
Individual Membership: $30 per year
Family Membership: $50 per year
Preservationist Membership: $100 per year
Business Membership: $250 per year
Patron: $500 per year.
In the past, our society offered Life Membership for a modest one-time fee. While this type of membership is no longer available, it has been grandfathered for those who chose this option. In recognition of the importance of the ongoing work of the society, Life Members are encouraged to consider a donation in lieu of annual membership fees
Join or renew today!
OTHER WAYS TO GIVE
The basic membership dues provide just a small fraction of the St. John Historical Society’s annual operating needs. Your support above the basic level is critically important to sustaining our current level of activities and needed to fulfil the vision and mission of our board.
Inspired by the recent $100,000 anonymous donation (which has recently grown to more than $114,000), the society has established an endowment fund to help carry out its vision and mission.
We wish to encourage members and others to consider supporting the society through planned giving, bequests and gifts in honor of individuals who share a love of St. John. As a 501(c)(3) entity, gifts to the society are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowable. Please consult with your tax advisor. Donations to the society support innovative educational programs, compelling lectures and exhibitions, long-standing research and publication initiatives, website management and enhancement, the conservation and preservation of an incomparable collection of documents and artifacts, and other projects that help make St. John’s history and traditional culture accessible to everyone.
Some of the past, current and future initiatives include:
- A planned cultural and historic resource center, a climate-controlled archive and museum/exhibit area and meeting space
- Archeological research into the secrets of St. John plantations and historic structures, including the Bellevue Plantation
- Restoration of the historic free-colored cemetery in Cruz Bay
- Completion of the historic place-names project
- Annual activities, including field trips to historic sites on other islands, hikes to remote ruins on St. John, sailing trips with historical themes, and working groups to clear historic ruins within the Virgin Islands National Park
- Signage for historical sites and for native plants and trees found on the island, both within and outside the VI National Park
- Upkeep and maintenance of the Virgin Islands National Park’s historic Annaberg Country School site
- Design and implementation of educational programs related to St. John and Virgin Islands history for the children of St. John
- Sponsorship of a planned second book on the history of St. John in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the acquisition of the islands by the United States
- Maintenance and enhancement of our website, which has become a beautiful and easy-to-use treasure trove of historical articles and photos available to the public.
Since the beginning, the vitality and stability of the organization has been sustained and assured by a succession of dedicated volunteer board members and through the support of the St. John community. Your support will help us continue to provide innovative programs that bring St. John and Virgin Islands history to life.
Please note that the membership year is the calendar year, beginning January 1st. If you join in September or later, your membership fee covers the remainder of the calendar year as well as the next calendar year. If you join anytime from January through August 31st, your membership fee covers that calendar year only.